March 13, 2012

Cardamom and Cinnamon Buns




These Swedish Cinnamon Buns may seem like it takes forever to bake and that it requires a lot of effort. Well, it do take a little while, because you have to let the dough and the buns rest twice to grow in size and let the yeast work it's magic, but it's not difficult to bake cinnamon buns and I promise it's worth the wait:-) Also, you'll be very popular amongst your friends, kids or whomever is lucky to try them;-)

You might wonder what the difference is between this recipe and American Cinnamon Buns. Well, first of all we use - cardamom in the dough. Second - these are baked in a very hot oven for just a few minutes which makes them light and fluffy, with a golden surface yet not dry or over baked. Fourth - the most important, we don't use glaze! We sprinkle with pear sugar instead.







Cardamom and Cinnamon Buns, 20pcs
3 dl milk
75 grams butter
25 g fresh yeast
1 dl sugar
1 tbsp pounded cardamom
7,5-8,5 dl flour

Filling:
100 g room temperature butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
2tbsp cinnamon

Decoration:
1 egg
2 tbsp pearl sugar

Add milk and chopped butter in a bowl and warm in the microwave until lukewarm (37 degrees C.)

Crumble the fresh yeast into the milk and butter liquid (if you use dry yeast, add it with the flour instead). Let the yeast melt and add sugar, pounded cardamom and blend well.

Add the flour and combine to a smooth and silky dough.  The dough should easily come off the bowl but be careful not to add to much flour as it will make your buns dry. You can put extra flour when you roll out the dough later on, if you need. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for about 40-60 minutes in a warm place. It should rise to about double the size. I usually put the oven on beforehand (225 degrees C.) to make the kitchen extra warm.

Tip the dough onto your flour powdered baking table and divide into two. Roll out each part to a rectangle. Spread the whole rectangle with butter, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon. I usually use more than the recipe requires as I love cinnamon:-). Roll the dough to lenghts and cut in about 3-4 cm pieces.

Place you bun, with the cut side down, in a paper cup and into a muffin tin. You can also put them directly onto a oven papered baking plate.

Cover and leave them to proof for another 20 minutes.

Beat the egg and brush this carefully on the bun. Sprinkle with pearl sugar. Bake in the oven for about 7-10 minutes in 225 degrees C. until golden.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. Yummm, cinnamon :) This looks delicious! In fact all of your recipes look amazing. And your pictures are all so beautiful, I'm glad I found your blog. I added it in my blog list on my homepage.
    Looking forwards to share recipes and to follow your posts,

    Maude G :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding my blog to your list! I became a follower of yours:-) I like the mix in your blog, healthy, sweets and savoury. I try to be healthy too, even if you can't see that for all my sweet treats:-)

      Delete
  2. I love cinnamon buns! These are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that the these little buns are in cupcake cases...they look so cute. Interesting with the cardamom too...I've got a cardamom cookie recipe waiting to be made! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Sweden we usually make them in cupcake cases like this, makes them prettier:-) Cardamom is a favourite spice so those cookies will surely be delicious.

      Delete
  4. Fantastiskt fina och vilken fin uppläggning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These buns are so lovely & tasty! Awesome idea by using cupcake liners for the buns! Great pictures & a very lovely blog! Have a lovely day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cardamom and cinnamon...yum!! These buns looks so delicious! I also loves the liners and tablecloth/napkin.....so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your lovely comment! It's highly appreciated!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices! I never thought to add it to cinnamon buns though! I'll have to give that a whirl next time I make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardamom is a perfect spice in the cinnamon buns, along with the cinnamon it's like a happy marriage;-)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I LOVE comments and I read them all, but may not respond to all:-)

XOXO Johanna